Can I Seek Compensation for Unpaid Overtime?

A person working overtime

Reclaiming Unpaid Wages

Are you being denied compensation for unpaid overtime? If so, you may be entitled to receive damages from your employer. It is essential to understand that filing a suit against your employer is a civil matter, and the laws governing these suits vary between states and federally. Fortunately, the attorneys at Josephson Dunlap are experienced in handling cases of this nature and can help ensure you get the compensation you are owed. Continue reading to learn more.

How Much Can Unpaid Overtime Can You Recover?

The amount (and types) of damages that employees can recover in an unpaid overtime lawsuit varies depending on the specific state and/or federal laws being enforced. Generally, however, employees may recover their unpaid wages and any related interest accrued on the amount, as well as attorneys' fees and other litigation costs. In some cases, employees may recover liquidated damages, meaning they may be able to recover two times their unpaid wages.

How Quickly Should I File My Claim?

The key to successfully recovering unpaid overtime is filing a claim as quickly as possible. Under the federal wage and hour law, the Fair Labor Standards Act, employees must file their unpaid overtime claims within two years from when they occurred, or within three years for “willful” violations. Similarly, employees must file their unpaid overtime claims under state law within your state's statute of limitations, which differ from state to state.

However, it is not advised to wait until your federal or state statute of limitations are up. The sooner you bring your unpaid overtime claim, the more likely it is that important details and records will be preserved, and the more likely it is that you can recover your maximum damages.

Why You Need to Have an Attorney By Your Side

Having the right attorney is critical when dealing with unpaid overtime claims. With the help of an experienced lawyer, it can be easier to navigate the complexities of state and federal law. The attorneys at Josephson Dunlap are experienced in handling these cases in courts in every state across the country and can help you understand what potential damages you may be entitled to.

If you believe that you have been denied overtime, you must get in touch with an attorney right away. At Josephson Dunlap, we have an extensive track record of success in wage-and-hour disputes and will do everything we can to help you recover the compensation you are owed. We understand how important it is for individuals to receive the wages they are rightfully owed, and we will work tirelessly to ensure that happens.

Contact us today so we can start working on your case. Call (888) 742-7242 or visit our website.

Related Posts
  • How Do I Know If I Am Exempt From Overtime? Read More